I already read a blog post about this (Thanks, Patrick O'Keefe!) but my experience was different enough that I decided to briefly post.
I had to do a number of things to the ./configure line. Like POK, I had to add:
I also had to identify my X11 library and headers:
Now, for some reason the first time I got it to work, I had multiple CFLAGS arguments and it worked fine:
./configure -build=i686-apple-macos LDFLAGS=-L/opt/X11/lib CFLAGS=-I/opt/X11/include CFLAGS=-D'ARCH="darwin"' CFLAGS=-I/usr/include/malloc
The second time, however, that failed, and I figured out that I had to consolidate them:
./configure -build=i686-apple-macos LDFLAGS=-L/opt/X11/lib CFLAGS='-I/opt/X11/include -I/usr/include/malloc'
Still haven't figured out why it appeared to work the first time. It's possible I manually edited the makefiles and then forgot, but I really don't think so.
Now, about that D'ARCH="darwin"...
For some reason, everything else was working but HTKLib/HGraf.c was complaining that it contained the variable ARCH which it had never heard of. The installation info on the HTK download site showed that variable being automatically set, but I couldn't get it to work; I actually had to go into HTKLib/HGraf.c and change variable ARCH to string "darwin". Not good to have to do that, but it seemed to get me up and running, so I'm happy as long as I remember how to do it next time...hence this blog post :)
So now I'm back to happily working through the tutorial in HTKBook...oh goodie. My first grammar-related seg fault. :D