Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Proof that LaTex is far superior to any WYSIWYG slide creator

After creating the graphics for my animation, easily and with no swearing at all, as described in the previous blog post. I was faced with the challenge of putting them into OpenOffice.

I thought for a minute, and cried to myself, "God I wish I were doing the slides in LaTex!"

Why?

Because this would be enough to create my slides:

\documentclass{beamer}
\mode<presentation>

\usepackage{graphicx}

\newcommand{\animatestep}[1]{\begin{frame}\frametitle{Step #1}\begin{center}\includegraphics{graphic-#1-crop.pdf}
\end{center}\end{frame}}

\begin{document}

\animatestep{1}
\animatestep{2}
\animatestep{3}
\animatestep{4}
\animatestep{5}
\animatestep{6}
\animatestep{7}
\animatestep{8}
\animatestep{9}
\animatestep{10}
\animatestep{11}
\animatestep{12}

\end{document}

And best of all, having once done this and noticed a flaw in the basic code I used to create this (I forgot to turn gray on for the arc labels), I just had to correct the flaw with a quick insertion of \g into each slide and run my compile command again:

> for next in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11; do latex graphic-$next.tex; dvipdf graphic-$next.dvi;\
 pdfcrop graphic-$next.pdf; done
> pdflatex test-animation.tex

and the whole thing is fixed. In OpenOffice, I would have had to manually replace each graphic with the corrected one.

That determined me! From now on, I'm creating a LaTex mockup of my slides before I create the final version in OpenOffice!

No comments:

Post a Comment